Table of Contents
You can customize the Visualforce Editor as you want. To do so, go to the Options Menu:
Main Menu ⇒ Tools ⇒ Options… ⇒ Text Editor ⇒ Visualforce.
Visualforce Code Assistance
In the Visualforce Editor, you can find lots of handy features of Code Assistance that make your development faster and more convenient:
- Automated formatting — it allows for making your code more readable in one click. Please note that code format for Visualforce currently changes all tags to a lower case,
- Code Outlining — it divides your code into separate code blocks between opening and closing tags, and it gives you the ability to selectively hide the parts of a code that you don't need right now,
- Closing tag completion — the editor automatically creates a closing tag once you write an opening tag. Please note that when you change the opening tag, the closing tag is also automatically changed to match it,
- Code Completion for HTML tags, CSS declarations and inline CSS — intelligent code completion and hints are displayed automatically for HTML tags, their attributes, inline (inside a style attribute) CSS and standalone CSS code,
- Markup Completion — handy feature for work with Visualforce tags,
- Comment / Uncomment — a simple tool for leaving comments for the selected part of a code.
Once you open any Visualforce page, you can see a split-screen editor. In the lower part of the screen, there is the Visualforce code editor itself. While in the upper part of the editor you can see a preview of your page directly from your org.
The Welkin Suite uses the Chromium browser engine for the previewer, so you can be sure that you see the same picture as most of your users will see. However, if you need to test a page in a different browser, you can do this using a button in the toolbar, which will open this page in your default browser.
You have also two additional options for previewing, that are available from the toolbar:
- Custom URL radio button — if you'd like to check your Visualforce page, for example, on the public Force.com site as a guest user, check it and enter a full URL of the page that you'd like to use as a preview.
- Parameters radio button — if your page accepts or expects any
GETparameters, you can easily pass them — just check this button and fill in your parameters to the text field in the top part of the previewer.
The Welkin Suite remembers these settings, and even after reopening the IDE itself, it will fill-in the parameters / URL according to whatever you've used the last time.
Each time you build changes in your Visualforce pages, the IDE refreshes the preview automatically. You can also do it at any time you need — just click on the Refresh button at the toolbar.
You're also able to collapse Visualforce previewer by default. To do so, navigate to the Main Menu:
Tools ⇒ Options ⇒ Projects ⇒ Presentation and check the box next to the Collapse Visualforce Previewer option.
Opening Visualforce pages in the browser
The Welkin Suite gives you a possibility to open Visualforce pages in a browser. Preview what the pages will look like, and make changes instantly.
You can launch the preview mode via the option Open in browser, which can be found in the context menu of the Visualforce page in the Solution Explorer.
For previewing Visualforce pages, The Welkin Suite uses the default browser.
In this section:
This also may be useful: