The Properties window shows all general information about a solution, project, file or folder, depending which item you've selected. By default, this panel is pinned under the Solution Explorer, but you are able to customize its placement as you want.
You can open the Properties window in three ways:
- go to the Main Menu:
View ⇒ Properties Window(the F4 hotkey). If you didn't select any item in the Solution Explorer, the panel will be empty; in another case, you will see the properties of the selected item.
- right-click on any item in the Solution Explorer and select the Properties option (the Alt+Enter hotkey).
- press the Properties button (the Alt+Enter hotkey) at the toolbar of the Solution Explorer .
The first action, in any case, opens the Properties window, the last two open the Properties window or it becomes active if you selected a file or page, and if you selected a solution or project, they open the Property page.
Content of the Properties window
The content of the Properties window depends on the item that you selected:
- the file's properties contain all the content related to the file's properties,
- the properties of a folder consist of only the folder name,
- the project's properties include the name of the project's file and its location,
- the solution's properties display such information about the solution as the name, active config, description, path, and startup project.
Here you can find all necessary information about the selected item divided into blocks:
- the name of the selected item,
- the menu buttons:
- sort the data in the categorized order,
- sort the data in the alphabetical order,
- open the Property page if a solution or project is selected,
- Advanced properties:
- Custom Tools — the tool that transforms the item at design time and places the output of that transformation into another file. This field may be empty,
- Custom Tool Namespace — the namespace where the output of the custom tool is placed. This field may be empty,
- SubType — the type of the item,
- Misc properties:
- File Name — the name of the item,
- Full Path — location of the item,
- the message box with the tooltips to each property.
Properties of a project or solution
You may explore the properties of a project or solution in more detail. For this purpose, use the Property Page.
In this section:
This also may be helpful: